Planning & Zoning

Shared Cost Sidewalk and Curb Program

The City of Seymour Shared Cost Sidewalk and Curb (SCSC) Program is designed to encourage the reconstruction of residential sidewalks and curbs.  Not for profit organizations may also qualify.  The City of Seymour will reimburse $4 per square foot of sidewalk and $25 per linear foot of curb, the Applicant pays the rest.  There is no application deadline; however, the number of SCSC Program requests approved will be limited by annual funding.

Click here to download the SCSC Program Guidelines and Application (pdf)

City of Seymour Curb Appeal Program

The City of Seymour Planning and Zoning Department would like to invite you to review their new Curb Appeal Program. The Curb Appeal Program is an assistance program for property owners to improve the appearance and quality of their property and enhance neighborhood aesthetic appeal.

Curb Appeal Program Objectives

  1. To assist in overall Seymour revitalization and improve its appearance and image.
  2. To help raise and improve the value of housing within Seymour city limits.
  3. To help provide property owners with resources to make improvements to the exterior of their homes and their property.
  4. To help leverage larger improvement projects and investment that may not otherwise take place.
  5. To create a positive influence on surrounding properties and encourage further investment by neighboring and nearby property owners.

Click here for more information on the Curb Appeal Program

Department of Planning & Zoning Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Issues building permits for all construction work taking place within the city limits and the two mile jurisdictional area surrounding the city.
  • Inspects all construction work to assure compliance with all state codes.
  • Enforces flood plain management regulations as required by FEMA and DNR.
  • Assigns 911 addresses for all properties being developed within city limits and two mile jurisdictional area.
  • Processes all applications for plats, rezoning, land use variances, and technical variances being filed for review and approval by Seymour Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals.
  • Enforces city zoning ordinances and developmental standards for properties within the city limits and the two mile jurisdictional area.
  • Enforces city property maintenance code for all properties within the incorporated limits of the city.
  • ADA Coordinator.
  • Utility Impact Board Advisor.

Steps to Getting Permits

Are you doing a project and need a building or construction permit? Here are some steps to getting the permit you need.

All projects must be approved by Seymour Building Commissioner Jeremy Gray.

  • Electrical Upgrades - Require a permit. Work must be completed by an electrician licensed through the City of Seymour.
  • Garages - Submit a building plan to Planning and Zoning Department. Once approved, a permit will be issued for $75.
  • Residential additions, porches, decks - Submit a building plan to Planning and Zoning Department. Once approved, a permit will be issued for $75.
  • Remodels - Submit building plans to building commissioner for approval. Once approved, a permit will be issued for $75. A remodel includes tearing down walls or adding walls or a room addition. Painting, new flooring, windows, siding, or a new roof do not need a permit.
  • New homes - Submit construction plans for approval. Once approved, developer will need to acquire a sewer tap through Seymour Water Pollution Control and then a construction permit will be issued for .08 a square foot. Inspections are done during the construction process.
  • New commercial buildings - Submit construction plans with state project release for approval. Permit will be issued.
  • Commercial addition or remodel - Submit construction plans with state release, if necessary. Permit will be issued.
  • Demolition of homes or structures - Submit an application for demo permit. Notify all utilities and Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Contact Seymour Water Pollution Control for sewer disconnect and Seymour Department of Public Works to stop trash pickup. Once a structure is demolished it will remain empty until someone wants to rebuild. (Property owner will still get charged a stormwater fee for any impervious area left on the property.)
  • Sidewalk and driveways - Permits are given when individuals need to replace an existing sidewalk or driveway. Must get curb cut permit from Planning and Zoning Department for $10. If you are wanting to add a new driveway to your property, you must submit your plans for approval.
  • Excavation permit - Issued to companies that are replacing sewer lines or burying cable line/fiber optics and are in the streets, easements, or personal properties. Must fill out application from Planning and Zoning Department. Cost of permit is $10.

Plan Commission

The Plan Commission reviews petitions in the following categories:

Replat Petitions, 1 Rezone Petitions, and 2 Vacate Petitions, 2 Development Plans and 1 Foundation Petition. The Plan Commission also reviewed 1 Land Use Variance Petitions and gave either favorable or unfavorable recommendation to the Board of Zoning Appeals.

Meeting Minutes

Plat Committee

Plat Committee is comprised of city staff and hears and decides on all property re-plat applications.   

Board of Zoning Appeals

 The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) hears and decides on all property variance applications. These positions are appointed by the Mayor and County authorities. 


Inspections are performed by the City Building Inspector Dave Neukam and includes all construction projects, i.e. electrical, plumbing, heating, HVAC, etc.  

Electrician's License

If you are an electrician and want to work on a job site in Seymour, IN, you must hold a current license registered at City of Seymour- Department of Planning and Zoning.The City of Seymour holds electrician’s license for 300 individuals in the city limits and a two-mile fringe.

All Electrical License Renewals are due by January 31st of each year and good for one year. Electrical License Renewals are $15.00.  A new license is $25.00.  Checks are made payable to the City of Seymour.

Office Contacts

Jeremy Gray - Building Commissioner - 812-523-5882

Dave Neukam - Building Inspector - 812-523-5899

Kelly Pifer - Ordinance Administrator - 812-523-5894

Patty Tormoehlen - Administrative Assistant - 812-522-4746

Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.